Friday, February 3, 2012

That was Then, This is Now.

"Hello friend,"

That is my first ever Little Bill reference. Proud to share it with the rest of you. As I do so many other things. Little Bill was a decent show, no Rupert, Gullah Gullah Island, or even Babar but it had its place in history.

Back then, Television was a lot better...life was a lot better, but for the sake of limitations we'll stick to just TV right now. Nickelodeon use to rule our house's TV, with Disney and Cartoon Network being close behind. Show after show was quality. Someone once told me that the original cast of All That is better than the cast of SNL now, and although I don't know if that's completely true, I would say they could be make a strong argument. Those of you kids who didn't have cable...Nello D, August, that sucks because you missed out on quality brain loss and mindless stupidity that I will forever remember.

Not even talking about kid networks, MTV used to actually be Music Television, with a strong emphasis on the Music part. How often do you turn it to that channel and music is not on it. My guess would be 95% of the time. MTV is now riddled with teenage mothers, people with weird addictions, and heavily intoxicated "celebrities." I remember sneaking into the living room late at night, so I could watch MTV Cancun with my brother, yea it was sleazy and disgusting, but it was the coolest thing you could see when you were that age. Beavis and Butthead recently came back, and though still hilarious, it has completely revamped its style. They don't really talk about music videos anymore, but instead the plague which is reality televison.

This new movie coming out from the wonderful creators over at Magnet have recently released a brand new trailer for God Bless America. Directed and written by Police Academy veteran, Bobcat Goldthwait, which if you can't remember who that is, because you're getting him confused with all the other Bobcats you know, he's the guy who constantly sounds like someone is twisting his nuts with a pair of pliers.



Magnet is known for making some blatantly obvious movies, and by that I mean their plots are usually the similar to the ideas a group of heroin addicts sitting around a table would pitch for movie ideas. They actually take these ideas and make them reality, but in a fantastically awesome way. They are our deepest, most secretive, evil thoughts and desires put into a movie. Just check out Hobo with a Shotgun, Rubber, or Troll Hunter if you don't believe me.

Although this movie does seem pretty over the top and ridiculous, it sort makes every person realize what that shitty feeling in the bottom of their stomach is every time they turn on the TV, that feeling that grew once people like Kim Kardashian and Heidi Montag became celebrities for doing nothing. Jersey Shore is hilarious, but not because of funny humor, but because its so sad how that's how far we've fallen, that tears don't even do it justice, we have to laugh at how pathetic it is. It seems like we went from wanting to like people on TV, to enjoy hating people on TV.

Granted I'm not saying all TV is bad, because its not. I'm a TV junkie still, there are so many good shows on now like Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Modern Family, Daily Show, etc. These shows know what it means to be good, they don't need cheap, trashy gimmicks. As long as these networks like Showtime and HBO continue to birth out these unbelievable shows, I think we'll be just fine. There is a black hole though in the Television world, and I think we need to do something about, like kill it, just shoot in the freaking face and watch it die slowly.

Our TV idols went from Nick Jr's Face to Simon Cowell, from Stick Stickley to Ryan Seacrest (which I think the two bare a striking resemblance), regardless our idols have been realized and it turned out to be a lot more sad than any of us expected.

I know reality TV is cheaper, but truth is I'd rather watch reruns of Everwood for the rest of my life than sit through one more Bachelor commercial. No one cares, they never get married and if they do, they will get a divorce or just cheat on each other the rest of their lives.

Reruns are more original than reality TV.

Also, we put up our official casting call, so here it is for our movie...This is the only place I can think to post it.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tlg/2831641767.html

Danny Fortuna, I just want to say you are my sunshine, my only sunshine... You make me happy when skies are gray... You never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away.

Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

1 comment:

  1. ON MTV, they show upcoming concerts and release dates of albums in between episodes of teen mom. That music news for your face!

    ReplyDelete