Monday, February 13, 2012

"Bittersweet Memories"

Hello everybody,

Due to recent events, the original blog post that I was going to do tonight is now going to be pushed back until tomorrow night. Mainly, because it's so in depth that it deserves its own posting. Also, I should let you know that what I just said is not an error, I will be posting again tomorrow night, because I traded shifts with one of my fellow Knights just for this week.

I want to start out with talking about Dylan Barnes. Did anyone else know this guy is the third manliest man alive, according to Old Spice. That is astonishing to me, not because I don't believe it, but because for once a competition came close to what I expected (I thought number one, but I'll settle for three). This guy is manly, the manliest man that I have ever known. If you don't believe me take a look at this piece of autographed memorabilia that I got tonight from him.


That's right people, It's real and I've got an authentic autograph of it. He didn't buy those, they were made for and then given to him.

On a much sadder and not at all well transitioned note, Whitney Houston passed away on Saturday at the young age of 48.

The 54th Annual Grammys aired tonight, and it was pretty normal, at least the parts I watched. Adele cleaned house, and I guess that's pretty impressive, but its always got to be someone, so why not her. People called her fat, and now she has got six Grammys... If that's not the best "Fuck You" you can give someone then I don't know what is. The night really shined though, when Jennifer Hudson performed "I Will Always Love You" in a last minute planned tribute to her fallen idol.

Regardless of your opinion of the woman, it's pretty undeniable her impact on music and its artists. Not only did she have a beautiful voice, but two of her songs are in my top two favorite songs of all time...........

Those of course being "I Will Always Love You" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody," When people tend to think of love songs "I Will Always Love You" is probably one of the first songs that come mind, either that or "Unchained Melody." Still I'm not picky, I love all my love songs, but that one is by far the most beautiful, for those of you who don't know, that song is from The Bodyguard. A movie about a former secretive service agent (Costner) who is hired to protect a pop singer (Houston) from some crazed shitty stalker fan, guy (Arana). The movie isn't anything special, but if you watch to end I guarantee a tear or two when that lengthy ballad fades in. I even know its coming and still can't seem to shield my heart strings from its power plucks.

"I Wanna Dance With Somebody" being number 2 on that last, is definitely as happier side to Whitney, and brings about the longing for fun and excitement in young girls life. All she wants to do is dance with somebody! DANCE! If there's any message I can get through in life, its that I want someone to dance with. I'm not being metaphoric or anything, dance does not = life, dance = dance. Dancing is fun, plain and simple. Go to person I want to dance with... Tuna, because we read each other out there on that dance floor and just let our hair down like a couple of school girls who just don't care.
 Let us never forget her pertinent role to American Psycho and Patrick Bateman's "Killing Spree."

Patrick Bateman: Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Christie?
Elizabeth: [laughing] You actually listen to Whitney Houston? You own a Whitney Houston CD? More than one?
Patrick Bateman: It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album. 
 
I don't think Whitney could have said it better herself. Even though he continued to murder both girls after having sex with them. Christian Bale gets it!

Whitney sure had her fair share of troubles with drugs and domestic violence, but who hasn't these days? Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston put domestic violence on the map, hard to do. So when she sang "Bittersweet memories is all I'm taking with me," it actually made some sense. She had a great life in the public, and was adored by her fans, but at home she clearly had some issues. Just like the song though, "I Will Always Love You," Whitney. Thank you for giving my ears the best audio orgasm anyone could ever ask for.

I will leave you with this picture of me dancing in London to "I Wanna Dance with Somebody,"... alone. I think she was with me in spirit...


Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

No comments:

Post a Comment