Friday, February 24, 2012

I Meant to?

Greetings,

I am now handing out free "Bump its-4-Life," It holds a life time guarantee with no expiration date. My "bumps" are like Twinkies, they're creamy, delicious, and most of all they will survive a nuclear holocaust.


I'm going to talk about this movie that I just recently watched called The Adjustment Bureau. After being directed to it's origin the short story The Adjustment Team by Philip K. Dick (heh) from friend Eric Williamson. I felt as if this movie, story waranted some attention. Now, what that attention might be, I'm not sure. But it will get some sort of attention now.

I just watched this the other day, and I was happy to actually enjoy it. I feel like these movies when you see their trailers tend to be a decorated piece of shit or more so a over compensating action-flick. These days most movies tend to sacrifice either depth or entertainment, so when one does actually come along its a pleasant surprise.

First off, this movie isn't perfect. It tends to tip-toe that fine line between emotionally uplifting and cheesy pretty steadily throughout its entirety, occasionally drunkenly stumbling to the cheesy side. Regardless, I found it to be entertaining, and somewhat thought provoking with a pretty solid acting job by Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, and Anthony Mackle.

The movie revolves around these two people who are not suppose to end up together, but somehow continue to meet up with one another. They are constantly drawn to one another without really knowing how or why, somewhat serendipitous if you will. The Adjustment Bureau is a team of what I assume is only men that walks amongst us, and keep us all on the right "path," which is predetermined  by "The Chairman." These two fight to be with one another even though they are not meant to be with one another. It's a love story wrapped up in the wonders of life and death. There are many metaphorical meanings and symbols within this movie, but  I really want to get into just the main idea.

I'm not going to tell you how the movie ends, because I hold true to my Non-Spoiler promise on this blog, but the way it ends really makes you think about your own "path." How much say we have in our own lives and how much time we really have. My main dude, Matt Bomer, recently appeared in the movie In Time with Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried, which has to deal with having a set clock and literally "buying time" to stay alive. I didn't see the movie, but still it has similarities that we can't deny.

This is something that we think about on a daily basis without ever really realizing it. Without thinking about it we would have no regret or doubt towards any decisions we make in our lives. If we are on a set path, then was I suppose to drink that orange juice this morning? What am I going to eat tomorrow? If I eat one thing over the other, will I be famous one day? Will I be alive long enough to see my fame come to fruition, or am I going out like Harry Stamper? (I've made sooooo many Armageddon references in this blog, it's got to be the world record for Armageddon references ever, I'm going to go back and count them all up.)

Seriously, I do find this to be a staggering topic of interest. Because if we chose to do something in order to not go with our desired plan, then that's just part of the plan. We think were four steps ahead they're 25 steps ahead of that. The Adjustment Bureau could be related to Guardian Angels, but its not as clear cut as them protecting us, they more so align us. They keep us on the path, and if we die, then that was the end of our path.

So all of you people out there who hate living by a plan, it's possible that that idea and thought process all along was apart of your plan. Irony at it's finest. I guess I'm not even sure I know what I believe. I think I want to believe in free will and our ability to make our own paths, and I want to think I'm strong enough for that responsibility, but I don't know if I am. I'm afraid I may be on my path only because I don't know how to live my own life.

So I ask you to think about that. Are you strong enough to live your life on your own, or do you need assistance of a path? Is that the sad reality I may make you realize? Possibly. If it is then it could just be...part of the plan...

Bah. Bah. Bah............INCEPTION!

It's one of those permanent rhetorical questions. I just asked about the greatest secret of life with no real hope for an honest answer, just some strong insightful debate, and our quest to understand is our stride as human beings in endless yet ridiculously epic game of duck, duck, goose.

Congratulations to Mat on hitting his mark. Thank you to all of you who donated, and to those of you who even considered.

Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

No comments:

Post a Comment