Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Interracial Duos

Hi,

After reading into the Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man for class tomorrow, I feel as if this is one of the more interesting things I have read. An invisible man not because of any actual super human ability to be invisible, but because he is a black man and goes unnoticed. I'm not going to sit here and layout all that I read about it, but it definitely is a racially heavy text that anyone living in America could appreciate for the sole fact that we deal with race on a daily basis.

Today, its treated much differently than when this books take place, interracial  and in Hollywood's attempt to make it alright to be "black or white," they have heavily placed upon us viewers numerous interracial duos that will forever be a important part to our pop culture history.

In honor of that and a month that celebrates black history, I applaud the media's attempt to make interracial duos that somewhat like to leave race at the door, and show us that we can work together, no matter our color. Positive messages! If you think these duos are a racist depiction of how Hollywood sees people like this, then just know you're not alone, but I'm going to ignore that for the sake of doing this list.

I have comprised a list of 10 interracial duos that I see to be awesome. It does not mean that there aren't more, but these are the ones that have had the most impact on my life.

10.) Alex and Kelly Robinson (Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy) - I Spy

This is a complete fan favorite of the Rat Trap. It is widely loved and admired, and for that Owen Wilson and Eddie murphy get this pick. This is a great sleeper movie and their relationship of 2nd string spy and egotistical boxer make for a sweet pairing. They are the "Guilty Pleasure" Pick.




9.) Agent K and Agent J (Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith) - Men In Black

These two don't make a lot of sense to me why they work, they're both way out of each others generations, but something about an old rough, white guy and a young smooth, black guy sure made for one hell of an alien fighting duo. They are the "Out of this World" Pick.






8.) Shawn and Gus (James Roday and Dule Hill) - Psych

These two are the newest to the group seeing as I just got into this show last year. With each passing episode, I feel as if their relationship can only grow stronger. The two of them alone have gotten me hooked on this show, with their witty banter they are the Gilmore Girls of Boys. They are the "Up-and-Coming" Pick.




7.) Boone and Yoast  & Campbell and Bertier (Denzel Washington and Will Patton & Wood Harris and Ryan Hurst) - Remember the Titans

This is somewhat cheating, but I wanted to combine them because its the same movie, and I couldn't pick which one duo I liked better. This movie is one of my favorite sports movies. Like its characters it shows heart throughout the entire thing. A great movie about interracial intolerance and the long strides it took to get to where it is today. This is my "Peace Train" Pick. (If you don't understand, re-watch the movie).










6.) Harold and Kumar (John Cho and Kal Penn) - Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

This movie became the half baked of the new generation. Highlighting stereotypes, race, and dumb americans these two were ordinary people thrown into an extraordinary journey. These two together work for the same reasons so many others on this list do, one is the rock and the other is the free spirit, but they embody that relationship better than anyone else. They were some of the first to poke fun at the ignorance of people post 9/11,They are the "Post 9/11" Pick.

5.) Troy and Abed ( Donald Glover and Danny Pudi) - Community
Troy and Abed are amazing, that's pretty much it. Each line is amazing between the two, and they tend to understand each other better than anyone else can understand either of them. They are hilariously weird. They are the "Gotta Love 'Em" Pick.




4.) Vega and Winnfield (John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson) - Pulp Fiction

These two are forever iconic. The chemistry between these two is undoubtablely the most interesting dynamic of characters ever. They work together, but don't really know each other. It's not until Vega doesn't have Winnfield anymore that he gets mowed down. Ruthless yet poetic, these two know how to control a scene. They are my "Bad Ass Mother Fuckers" Pick.


3.) Murtaugh and Riggs (Danny Glover and Mel Gibson) - Lethal Weapon

These two fell into this situation, and blossomed from it. Put into the most extreme of situations, they grew to trust one another out of need for one another. These two killed it together, and those movies as ridiculous as they may be, are probably going to happen. They are my "Partners-4-Life" Pick.





2.) Carter and Lee (Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan) - Rush Hour

It's no secret that Rush Hour was probably my favorite movie for the better half of a decade, I have the worn out VHS to prove it. These two's cultures are what make them the most different yet most compatible. They are my "East-to-West" Pick.





1.) J.D. and Turk (Zach Braff and Donald Faison) - Scrubs

Anyone who has known me for more than 5 minutes knows this would be my number one. I want to be the missing Carmel Bear, but I don't because it would ruin their relationship that they have now. The fact I know they are great friends off screen makes it that much better. They know what a true bro-mance is all about. They are my "Guy Love" Pick.




Some Honorable Mentions
Arnold and Gerald- Hey Arnold
Red and Deufresne - Shawshank Redemption
Doug and Skeeter- Doug (Skeeter was black, let's face it)
Quinn and Yaz - Double Team
Montgomery and Lafferty- National Security
Monroe and Hodges - Cop Out

These are mine, think about yours. If you don't have any then, Wow you're incredibly weak. Michael Jackson embraced "Black and White" so much he tried them both out in his lifetime, that is showing dedication.

Also, my guy! Matt Bomer publicly came out recently. Even though we all pretty much knew, good for him and his embrace. Good for him and his family.

That is all for tonight until next week, where I will be back on my regular schedule.

Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

No comments:

Post a Comment