Friday, November 18, 2011

Change your ways, be Batman.

Hello all,

Tonight I'm going to focus on a conversation that I had between my roommate August and myself earlier today, he's been reading this book in his attempt to become...wait for it..."Intellartsy"- which is a insane hybrid of intelligent and artsy. I was present in its creation by none other than Mr. August himself, who actually trademarked it on the spot. Intellartsy will be sweeping the nation before you know it, not only will people be sophisticated in the ways of the world, but they will actually know what they are talking about. No longer will the illusion be disingenuous, but instead far more truthful and meaningful then you or I could even imagine. I would wait a lifetime in order to see this change come to our fair world, because I fear that it may need it now more than ever.

I'm not sure of the name of the book or necessarily what its about, but I do know it made him bring up this notion of not only change in America, but change in the world and how that's necessary to fix our problems. More so, how people's fear of change has become a crippling factor to many of the problems, and our inability to fix any of them. I'm not saying were in shambles and on the verge of extinction (which we may be), but I do think that the idea of changing anything in society to make our world a better place is frightening, not just because its different, but because it is also inconvenient. I've preached it many times before, but convenience is the most attractive quality in anything. If something is convenient we love it, but the second something becomes inconvenient we get upset, confused, or probably will just not deal with it. I do it all the time, I eat based on convenience not out of desire, and if its too hard to figure out, I'm just not gonna do it. This link between convenience and change is one reason why we can't seem to get out of our old ways and fix the problems at hand.

I'm not a Intellartsy just yet, so my knowledge of the government, politics, life in general is pretty limited at best. I enjoy the Daily Show because John Stewart is one of the few people on TV that just makes way too much sense to me. Still, I am not an expert enough on any one part of this country or its government to make a valid judge of it. However, I do believe I know quite a bit about people, therefore I can say whatever the hell I want about them. After all, I'm dece sure I am one, so I have a personal look into the mind of one of them people.

President Obama ran on a campaign that went from "Change we can believe in." to "Change we need." Now, for the longest time I wondered why he would change that slogan, I liked the first one, The word "believe" in anything sounds great to me, inspiring, hopeful, dramatic, cheesy (which I'm a sucker for). Why then change his change slogan? I think it was a far more harsh decision then it just made his campaign sound better. Believing is great for the world, you need to believe in something because that's what gets you through the day. But believing isn't always rewarded, our faith in a certain thing or person isn't always honored on the other end, and just because we believe it doesn't mean its true. I used to believe in Santa Claus, but we all know how that worked out. When we need something its not about it being true or false, its about doing whats best and letting people know that they need to change not just believe in it.

I think I'm rationally going through this idea pretty smoothly. Belief is no longer a hard enough conviction to hold anymore, although still important, action is what people need to see. The act of needing to change provokes a sacrifice on our part. Sacrifice of anything provides us with inconvenience, and that is why I think people fear change. As essential as it is, its a sacrifice of something that regardless of size, will force us to change our ways, which no one wants to do.

In the Dark Knight when Batman says, "Sometimes the truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded," This is an awesome line from this movie, and not just because Bale delivers it with such swag, but because Batman is sacrificing himself and his place in Gotham for the city and its real hero Dent. He is exchanging People's belief in him for their belief in Harvey Dent. I know it has religious meaning, but I don't care about that so much. But we don't have a Batman, therefore we have to do it ourselves.

So go forth and be your own Batman. Start with the cape and mask and then work up your way from there. Make sacrifices (don't kill anyone) so the rest of us can stand living in this world.

That is all for tonight, I will not be posting next week due to the fact that I am not working (emoticon smiley). I hope you guys have a Thanksgiving that will hopefully be filled with as much fighting and irrational anger as mine will be. "Dysfunctional families" are now just called "Families," I'm pretty sure.

I give thanks for my Friends, Family, and of course Batman.

Night, Nite, Dark Knight,
Jarrad

1 comment: