Friday, April 13, 2012

Urban Legends

Hello,

Urban Legends could be some of the creepiest most sadistic pieces of folk lore ever told. They're are sort of the here-say version of Unsolved Mysteries except they are usually false and far more messed up, not to mention you don't get that smoky, low-toned voice of Robert Stack narrating them.

We've all heard urban legends, and many of us probably didn't even know it. Bloody Mary, Roommate Murder, Express train to Hell (which was done in an episode of Hey, Arnold!)That's probably a good thing, because if we don't know they are an urban legend they are still insanely creepy, and we probably are going to lose sleep. All the urban legends I know, I know are fake, but yet I still lose sleep over them If I think about them enough. It's like a scary movie, doesn't matter if they're not real, they were believable enough for me to sleep with the light on and an air-soft gun under my pillow all night for 6 straight days.

Are You Afraid of the Dark is a good show that sort of banks on the whole urban legend story-telling. A bunch of kids just sit around a camp fire telling the creepiest most frightening stories. That show scared the shit out of me, and I guarantee if I watched it again today. My fear would only be more intense seeing as how I've learned nothing in life, and people only scare me more.

One of my favorite urban legends, is the Clown Statue one. Those of you who don't know what that one is, let me please ruin your nights sleep.

A babysitter is watching a couple of kids one night during their parents date night. There is a clown statue in the living room, where she is watching TV. She is freaked out by this clown statue, as any self-respecting sane person would be, because no one has a fucking clown statue in their living room. She calls the Dad, and asks if she can cover it because it is freaking her out. Her Dad tells her to get the kids, go next door, and call 911. She does, without questioning it. She calls the Dad when she is next door, and he explains to her how the kids had been complaining about a clown watching them when they slept, breathing heavily over them, and that they (the parents) just chalked it up as adolescent nightmares. Turns out this guy was a homeless who just happen to hide in the attic and would only come out at night, to watch the kids sleep.

If you are not shitting yourself with fear, then you clearly have issues because I just scared myself typing that. In one version, I was told the clown was a midget, which actually increased the terror of that story to the point where I had repeating nightmares of midgets at the circus.

So when I said, I've been woken up by a Firby at 4 in the morning, after swearing on my life I took the batteries out of that thing 6 years ago. I mean that is truly one of the most terrifying things I have ever experienced. Not to mention that its go-to catch phrase was "You're my friend." Fuck you, Firby. I honestly mean that.

There are hundreds, and if you want to be scared more, by all means look them up. Here are 5 that are also apparently true : Touch me with your mouse ;)

Urban Legends are far more terrifying because by far your imagination is your valuable tool and also your most dangerous. When you watch a scary movie or show, your imagination is limited because they've visualized the story for you, but with words, that can leave a lot up for interpretations. Enough to make you go mad, lose sleep, and want to never see a midget again.

I know they're "fake" but we can't prove something like that will never happen. I mean there is shit that hasn't happened, but it doesn't mean it won't or can't.  I know we've proved ghosts "wrong" about a million times, but there are hundreds of situations where we can't. Aliens are definitely real, urban legends can be too! That solely is what makes them so terrifying...the waiting. The wait for one messed up freak to follow through with these things. If anything it's only giving psychos ideas as to how to freak people out. I don't want to be the one they test it on. I will cry like a little girl, and from past experiences that is not an attractive look on me.

Damn you urban legends for your rising possibilities!

This is another site for urban legends. Good luck, sleep tight, if you can... muehehehehehe (evil giggle).

Happy Birthday Capades and Flow, you guys rock my socks on. You are both now irrelevant, welcome to the club.

Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

No comments:

Post a Comment