Friday, March 23, 2012

Bumping of the Geese

Greetings,

Have you ever noticed how weird goosebumps are? Your body physically reacts to certain emotions as it does temperature change. Sometimes where you're in a situation where both come into play, you're not sure which of the two possibilities ignited them. For instance, the national anthem at a hockey game. It's cold and patriotic, which could be Nighttrain's natural environment.

Patriotic things get my geese bumpin', I'm just that guy. Call me corny, call me cliche, even call me a sap, but I do find something special in most patriotic moments, and most of the time they don't even have to be real. Pretty much every firework show I've ever been to, anytime they sing the National Anthem at some sporting event I'm probably going to bumps some geese.

That got me thinking about what else get's my geese bumpin'. Well, in order to do that, I had to go back and think about all the moments in movies and shows that I think are pretty  heartfelt, beautiful, somewhat corny, somewhat special. They have to be able to tip-toe that ever so thin line between inspirational and corny, and that being said we all don't have the same line, but still we can appreciate most things for what they're worth.

Sud was here a couple weeks ago, and got me watching those soldiers coming home videos. I dare you not to get goosebumps when you watch those, they are the best, got me teary-eyed behind the desk of my job looking like an idiot. Still, I do like them and would watch them a million times again, just cause that feeling is awesome.

I've put together a group of some of my favorite moments from television shows and movies that always really get me choked up and bumpin' geese.  There are many, just beware, you don't have to watch them all, and they are not just the good part, but what I could find. You know the good part when you feel those bumps creeping up on you.

Also, I understand part of the experience of these moments are the context in which they are in. In that case, I encourage to watch what you will, but take it more as a reference to a movie or show you haven't seen and may want to. These are in no particular order

American Beauty- is B-E-A-utiful


Scrubs - has many, I picked a few






Fresh Prince of Bel-Air- Great acting on Will Smith's part, always nice to see a comedy take a turn to the Drama side for a moment. Really humanizes the characters

Fresh Prince - Two Sad Scenes


Armaggeddon- Michael Bay definitely knows how to get people excited


Independence Day- Arguably the best alien v. the world speech ever



Boy Meets World- Again, so many great moments. The final moments of the show just was too sad to pass up


The Majestic- Jim Carrey proves he can give an awkward tough speech, good movie about the magic of movies.


Patch Adams and Jack- Robin Williams does a great job in both just really appealing to the heart.




Remember the Titans- One of many great sports movies, but this one just came around in my prime years


Coach Carter- Sad and beautiful


Lion King- standard animation just making me cry.


The Dark Knight- Final speech delivered by the Commissioner, just makes you realize how perfect Batman is.
A Watchful Protector...

These next two are by far my favorite out of any of these. The first one is from the West Wing which is arguably one of the best shows of all time, and although its based on a fake event, it ignites those feelings just as good as the real thing. So beautifully written by Aaron Sorkin and Acted out by Martin Sheen.

The other being Charlie Chaplin's the Great Dictator Speech, beautiful, reasonable, and passionate. Still upholds to this very day. (This version is cut with images, but the original is just as good).





I've realized that often times when we feel this way we are so engulfed in what is going on around us it overwhelms us to the point of exceedingly happiness and confusion. This is the point when someone looks at you and  you strike the resemblance of a 6-year-old whose biggest dream just came true. You look like an idiot, because you're not used to being that happy. It's so special you understand it's about so much more than just you, it's about the experience you're sharing with a larger group of people. Regardless of how many or who, it's a feeling of shared experience that can't be handled by just one. That's why we love that feeling, even though it may feel awkward and unexpected it's awesome every time.

I don't get goosebumps when I get scared. They should have called those books "Pisspants" because that was more likely to happen than "Goosebumps."

I don't expect everyone to like these, but I'm sure you have your own too.

Be Safe and continue to Bump those Geese

Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

No comments:

Post a Comment