Monday, March 26, 2012

Appropriately Unreachable

Dear everyone,

I've been re-watching a lot of Scrubs recently, and one of the best things about that show is the soundtrack. Those of you who are not fellow "Scrubers," first off should change that immediately, and secondly understand the greatness behind some of their song selections.

Often when it comes to movies and TV the right music can make a scene great, but it's really phenomenal, when the right scene can make a song great. Most people don't know this, but The Fray's "How to Save a Life" got its recognition in one of Scrubs best episodes of all time "My Lunch."

One of the best scene in Scrubs history...the history of the world even, involving Dr. Cox, J.D., and some sad things. I don't want to ruin it for those of you who plan on watching it. The scene was so powerful and moving along with the song complementing it perfectly, you can't ask for a better combination of passion and emotion.

Joshua Radin's "Winter," became famous in another popular (and ever so good) episode "My Screw Up." Not only launching the song, but his career as a musician. 

This post isn't about Scrubs though and their great music selection, it is about one song in particular and more so what that song means. In the episode "His Story III," which revolved around the point-of-view of the Janitor, Neil Flynn, instead of JD (which is the norm). The song in that episode is Augustana "Boston."

Now, I don't know anything about this band, other than this song. Whatever else I've heard, I didn't care much for. Regardless, if you like the band/song or not is irrelevant, this song definitely brings about interesting ideas to think about it, and for me it was sort of the this appropriately unreachable dream.

The sort of dream that you'll never follow through with because it means losing so much, but you could if you really wanted to be that guy or girl, but in some ways you think it could be amazing if you ever actually went through with it. This song is that dream.

This guy talks about leaving the place he's been his whole life, where he's been established and known and go off to somewhere where "no one knows my name" (This song is the complete opposite of the "Cheers" theme song). About leaving your comfort zone and going somewhere uncomfortable, where you know no one, and you can start fresh. It's all about having no obligations to anyone or anything, and never having to worry about keeping in touch with people or visiting people, but just living your life on your own terms. It does sound sort of selfish, but incredible at the same time.

I'm not sure how deep the guy from Augustana was really going in the song, but in my mind I thought of it much like the "Into the Wild" with Chris McCandless. (Which I talked about with ANNE! on Wednesday, gotta love it when things come full circle).

If you read the book or saw that beautiful ass movie, he's sort of the extreme of that dream. He really goes out of his way so no one really knows him, and/or can contact him. He burns his social security card and all his money, and just disappears. That is some liberating shit right there. Taking yourself off the grid.

Maybe it's because graduation is approaching, and the reality of life after school is starting to sink in that I'm feeling this way, but I know that I've had this mind-set for a long time, ever since the first time I read that book, which I think was middle-school.

Like I said, it's a ridiculous dream because I never would do it. There's too many people in my life I actually care about, that did so much for me, that to disappear would only be seen as selfish. I'm lucky in a lot of ways, and when you are that lucky you can afford to think this way, but I know not everyone is. It's easy to see the glamor in another person's life when your apart of the audience, but to live it is much different.

But still, there is a great feeling in just thinking that way though, imagine never fearing the disappointment in others, living according to your own rules and agenda, that's something special. It's just not realistic, at least for me.

I don't think it is a bad thing, I encourage all of you to think that way, because if anything you realize more of what you want, and appreciate more of what you already have. I'm getting a little too deep for this blog, these are the epitome of high thoughts, although I do see relevance in it for everyone.

In a lighter, more awesome note, I got the great pleasure of meeting Steve Cady (Chris "Capades" Cady's nicer twin) this weekend. I'm thinking I like "The Flow" as a nickname for him, cause he's got some great flow, I mean damn good, and as a hair enthusiast, I always appreciate some good flow.

Hope you all have a good week, and take care for now.

Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

No comments:

Post a Comment