Monday, January 23, 2012

Dream While You Still Can

Hello,

When I was growing up I varied pretty drastically on what I wanted to be. It was never anything to typical, but more so just described aspects about me and my personality.  At first, I remember I wanted to be a spy, probably because it was the most "realistic" job once I realized that Power Ranger was not a viable option. Also, I enjoyed making gadgets, I specifically remember using a burger-king toy reflector, a hand-powered helicopter, and a multiplication table keyboard to try and talk to aliens. I think my mom use to question my sanity when I'd be behind our house at night looking up at the sky and talking into a reflector.

Anyway, I realized I loved food, so I wanted to be a cook. That was it though, I didn't want to make food for people I just wanted to make food and eat it, and somehow that was a job to me. I went through a small phase of wanting to be the world's greatest balloon artist. I liked to make people laugh so I wanted to be a stand-up comic. I'm fairly positive that that was the last thing I really hoped to be before I didn't know at all what I wanted to be.

The stereotypical answers were cowboy, professional athlete, rock star, astronaut, etc. but unfortunately these answers have been fading out for quite some time. I would hate to be a parent who had to tell their kid they can't be an astronaut because that profession pretty much doesn't exist anymore. All those other professions are really only occupied by the 1%, with the exception of cowboy, and let's face it not everyone is special. What constitutes a cowboy now is in no way what the original idea of what a cowboy was. The most famous cowboy of our generation was a talking toy, its hard to be taken seriously.

We don't take dreams as seriously as we use to, but now is the time to do it. Unemployment is crazy high right now, so why not follow your dream while its acceptable to be unemployed. Just say that real cliche line "This economy sucks," I'm pretty sure that justifies every choice these days and people will think you are all political and shit.


If you don't you may end up being the reporter that got the hot lead on "What?! Katy Perry unfollowing Russell Brand on Twitter!"... why is this news? Better yet, why were people paid to inform us of this? In order to be a journalist these days, I'm pretty sure you have to stick to conversational topics of prepubescent middle school girls.

Don't get me wrong, nothing makes me happier than actually having money in my account, and vice versa nothing makes sadder than not (I'm sad a lot). I figure at this point, no one job I get will skyrocket me into billions, better yet hundreds, realistically tens. Whatever I end up doing I will enjoy it...I have to. The only job I have had that I didn't like, I would quite often talk about "ending it" on a daily basis.

Let's stop being realistic, let's live in the fantasy, live in the dream. Just like in Inception, with far less complications, but equally, if not more so, attractive people. Cobb got the right idea, he just found a way to make money off of it, even though he was dickin' around in limbo way too long and went a little insane.

If you like it enough, you'll find a way to make money doing it. I understand the amount of gappin' holes that statement has, but I'm currently livin' in a dream right now because reality is currently not as good.

Be a dreamer, because I'm pretty sure that's what the Beatles always wanted for us. Apparently, Lennon wasn't the only one... and in the process don't be a dick because once again no one will like you.

Night, Nite, Knight,
Jarrad

1 comment: